Juris Doctor, cum laude Suffolk University Law School, 1974, (Law Review, Editor)
Bachelor of Science (Accounting) Northeastern University, 1969
- Arizona (1982)
- Various Federal Courts
- Massachusetts (Retired)
- New York (Resigned)
Panels, Professional Affiliations and Leadership
- Arizona Summit Law School - Adjunct Professor of Law (Employment Discrimination Law- Spring 2015, Fall 2014, Fall 2012; Alternative Dispute Resolution-Spring 2013; Employment Law-Spring 2014, Fall 2013; Professional Responsibility-Spring 2015, Fall 2014, Spring 2014).
- American Arbitration Association - Mediator and Arbitrator panels.
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority – Arbitrator panel.
- U.S. Postal Service –Mediator panel.
- City of Scottsdale, Personal Board.
- Phoenix Employment Relations Board, Hearing Officer Panel
- Maricopa County Superior Court - Judge Pro Tem (1995-2011).
- Arizona Association for Conflict Resolution - President (2011-2012).
- Arizona Labor and Employment Relations Association - Board Member.
- American Bar Association - Member, Committee on Employee Rights and Responsibilities, Member, Insurance Subcommittee, former Chair, Alternatives to Litigation Subcommittee.
- State Bar of Arizona - Arizona Employment Law Handbook, Discrimination chapter editor; Member, Alternative Dispute Resolution Section(Council member); Member, Employment & Labor Law Section; Member, Fee Arbitration Committee (Chair, 2014-present; Vice-Chair, 2011-2014; Unauthorized Practice of Law, Subcommittee, Chair 2011-present,: Rules subcommittee member).
- Scottsdale Bar Association – Board Member.
- “Arizona's Finest Lawyers” (2011).
- Ranking Arizona Award Winner, (ADR) Arizona Business Magazine (2008).
- U.S. Army (1969-1971).
Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, "ADR Options in the Employment Context and Preparing Yourself and Your Client for Mediation", State Bar ADR Section and the Coconino County Bar Association (November 2013).
- Speaker, "Best Practices for Putting on a Labor Arbitration", Arizona Labor and Employment Relations Association (November 2013).
- Speaker, "Arizona Wage and Hour Laws", National Business Institute (December 2011).
- Panel Member, “From the Mediators’ Perspective: Effective Preparation and Advocacy During Mediation,” State Bar Annual Employment Law Seminar, Sedona, AZ (October 2009).
- Panel Member, Roundtable: “14 Penn Plaza LLC v. Pyett”, Arizona Labor and Employment Relations Association (September 2009).
- Speaker, "Current Issues in Employment ADR: Transformative Mediation," State Bar Convention - Labor Section (June 2009).
- Speaker, "Preparing Yourself and Your Client for Mediation," State Bar Alternative Dispute Section (May 2009).
- Speaker and Chair, "Transformative Mediation," State Bar Employment & Labor Law Section (May 2008).
- Co-chair, American Bar Association Employment Litigation Skills Training Program, Phoenix (January 2008).
- Speaker, "Creating Legally Defensible Documentation," National Business Institute Seminar (July 2006).
- Speaker, "Avoiding the Legal Landmines: Ensuring Your Investigation Complies With the Law and Protecting Against Fallout From the Investigation," Council on Education in Management Seminar (June 2006).
- Speaker, “Certificate in Human Resources Management,” Council on Education in Management Seminar (April 2006).
- Speaker, "Public Section Employment Law Update," Council on Education in Management Seminar (March 2006).
- Speaker, "Update on Critical Legal Issues in Conducting Workplace Investigations to Minimize Your Liability Risks," Council on Education in Management Seminar (July 2005).
- Speaker, "New Employment Law Challenges in 2005," Council on Education In Management Seminar (March 2005).
- Speaker, "Making the Right Decisions Without Violating the Law," Council on Education In Management Seminar (March 2005).
- Speaker, "Employment Practice Issues" and "Mental Health and Emotional Issues in the Workplace," Sterling Education Services, LLC Seminar (May 2003).
- Chapter Author, "Employment Torts, Employment Termination Rights and Remedies," Second Edition 2003 Supplement, ABA Section of Labor and Employment Law.
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona, Prisoner Mediation Training, 2014.
- U.S. Postal Service, Redress Mediation Training, 2007, supplemental 2009.
- Maricopa County Superior Court, Judge Pro Tem Mediator Training, 1998 and 2008.
- Professional Mediation Associates, Comprehensive Mediation Training, 2008.
- Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (formerly NASD) Arbitrator Training, 2007.
- State Bar of Arizona, ADR Section – Sectional Educational Program, Apology and the Resolution of Employment Disputes, 2007.
- State Bar of Arizona, ADR Section – Sectional Educational Program, Proper Documentation of a Mediation Settlement Agreement, 2007.
- American Arbitration Association, Dealing with Delay Tactics in Arbitration, 2010, 2006.
- American Arbitration Association, Chairing an Arbitration Panel: Managing Procedures, Process & Dynamics, 2005, 2010.
- American Arbitration Association, Arbitration Awards: Safeguarding, Deciding & Writing Awards, 2003.
- American Arbitration Association, Neutrals Conference, 2003.
- American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator Update, 2002.
- American Arbitration Association, Employment Arbitrator II Training, 2002.
- American Arbitration Association, Commercial Arbitrator Training, 1999.
- American Arbitration Association, Employment Arbitrator Training, 1997.
- Shareholder, Walker & Peskind, PLLC, Scottsdale, AZ, 2009-2011.
- Member, Gust Rosenfeld P.L.C., Phoenix, AZ, 1982-2009.
- Staff Attorney, U.S. Department of Labor, Washington, D.C. and New York, NY, 1974-1982.
Steven M. Guttell, PLC, 8902 E. Via Linda #110-103, Scottsdale, AZ (602) 690-0086